Monday, September 22, 2008

This and that

Let me begin by answering some questions about the last blog:

The whole midwife thing...
Yes, we are using a midwife this time around, BUT that does not mean a home birth or all natural birth by any means (not in my case anyway.)  I like knowing that I'll be in a hospital where there are trained medical professionals and they will be able to step in if anything goes wrong.  I also like the fact that pain medication will be readily available if I so choose.  I talked to a few people before making the decision of a midwife over an OB to see what their experiences were.  I decided to go with the midwife this time for a few reasons 1) I was told they are able to spend more 1 on 1 time with you 2) I want to have a woman this first time around....figured it would help me ease into the whole "There goes my dignity" situation 3) I was told that the dr I would have seen is a little bit on the technical side (not a great bedside manner) and 4) Josh was fine with whatever I decided.  

Parvo side effects on Baby...
So, like I said, it looks like we have a very high percentage that baby will be just fine, but here are some of the possible complications due to the fact that I had Parvo.
*higher chance of miscarriage (about 4% more)
*anemia in baby (possible blood transfusions??)
*something called hydrops (?) where fluid can build up in baby
That's what we have been able to find through a bit of research, but we'll learn more at our appointment on Friday. 

Anyway, I've been feeling ok....just tired.  I had a few days where I had a TON of energy so I thought maybe the 2nd trimester had really kicked in....but no.  I am also starting to discover the joys of heartburn. =-)  If only I can get Josh to stop stealing my Tums.  Do any of you mommies out there have any good tips for the 2nd trimester???

Oh, and how can I forget.  This weekend Josh and I went to lunch with some friends and got to see a bit of a surfing contest, then went to see Burn After Reading (stange, but so funny).  Upon returning home Josh told me.....here's the good part....that I could take a nap while he went to the laundromat to do our mass amount of laundry!!!!  Yeah, he's awesome.

4 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

ah, sweet hubby!

the heartburn thing... yeah, that was new for me with this pregnancy, as is reflux (yuck! and painful!). my doc said liquid mylanta (sp?), so i've been totally downing that. he said it's his opinion that liquid usually works better than chewable tablets.

there's actually quite a few over the counter "meds" you can take for reflux, but i can't remember all of them, so ask your midwife if the tums don't help enough. sorry about the heartburn... it can be miserable!

Our Life Together said...

Thanks for clearing that up Steph...hmmm that maybe sounds like something I would want to do when we get pregnant. I'm so glad there are so many more choices our there for us now a days. Burn After Reading was strange but funny I agree. Can't help you with the heart burn but hopefully you'll be full of tips when I SOMEDAY (I wish sooner) get to that stage.

Yay for such a great and loving husband. Have you guys decided to find the sex out or not???

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
Thanks for the parvo update, I have been wondering what it really means. I am sure you will let us know what you find out Friday.
Sorry about the heart burn..you will just have to eat smaller meals and more of them!
Aunt Sue Ann

The Scholl Family said...

Hi Stef,
Oh, yes, how could I forget the heartburn? 'Twas no fun, but luckily you've got plenty of moms in the blogging world who totally relate! And good job defending your reasons for going with a midwife! When I was pg with Caitlyn I was always explaining why we had chosen a midwife and yes, I was in fact delivering in a hospital and not in my living room!

btw, I agree with Kristen on the liq Mylanta option. Liquid does work faster than tablets. I also found milk helped too, in some cases. In the 3rd trimester it got so bad I had to prop myself up to sleep. Being pregnant is wonderful but also wierd! All those organs get pushed around from your growing baby and have to deal with it somehow!