Friday, January 27, 2012

Can I do it?

In August while we were visiting Josh's dad, we went to Central Park near his house in the Bay Area.  It was awesome. I actually remember coming to Central Park when I was little and I LOVED it.  Lots of shallow water to play in, streams to walk in.  As I sat there watching Miss N playing in the water I thought 'I wonder how hard it would be to get something like this built in our town?'  We live in a perfect place for this kind of park.  Good weather, lots of young families, and not many free outdoor activities provided (and lets face it - people with money to burn...)  So I started mulling it over with Josh.  It is something the families here would love!  However, I know it would be a long and vvveeerrryyy drawn out process with lots of red tape.  Do I want to spend a ton of time going to city meetings, looking for people to fund the project,  trying to convince a bunch of people in suits that it would be an amazing thing for the kids in this town (when I know they would rather spend it on yet another parking garage...)?  I think it's worth it.  I do.  But this kind of thing could take years. YEARS!  Am I dedicated enough for that?  I don't even know where to start.  It's actually a bit daunting.  But, how awesome would it be to have a free place where your kid(s)s (no, this is not a pregnancy announcement) were ALLOWED & ENCOURAGED to play in the water?!  True - we do have the beach a mere 15 min from us...but I don't always feel like dealing with sand everywhere (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...)

Anyone have thoughts or tips on how to get this kind of thing started?

 Oh - and I would LOVE to add one of those areas that have water randomly squirting out of the ground...purely for the kids, of course.  ;-)

Here are a few pictures of Central Park - San Ramon.  The pics don't do it justice.  And do you see the shade!!??  How glorious would it be to be able to sit in the shade and watch your kid play?  Not sure why the parks here are anti-shade.  But you can be sure that IF this whole 'water park' actually happens, there WILL be shade.  Priorities people.  Priorities.










1 comment:

Mallory said...

That would be so wonderful!!! I wonder if you could add it to an existing park, like Cuesta park (although sort of out of the way) or the park on Santa Rosa?

That would be amazing, and I'm sure if you get the ball rolling, if you get tired of it, or get stuck, tehre will be so many people who will pick it up and help you!!


We will come for a playdate when your park opens! So impressed that you would even think of tackling this!