Monday, October 13, 2008

A not-so-cute preschool story


I just got home from work and I'm a bit peeved.  I'm supposed to stick to the mellow, easygoing stuff at work right now (per my boss) and avoid the confrontational children (since I cannot pick them up and remove them from situations....that sort of thing.)  However, today a child decided to follow me around and hit me.  I tried to ignore the situation, hoping the child would stop, but then it became necessary to take an object away because they were hitting me with it.  It only got worse from there.  Everywhere I would go, the child would follow - then proceed to hit me again and scream.  The mom was there (throughout the entire process) so I finally went inside to mom and told her that her child was hitting me and screaming and that I needed her to come out and take care of him.  She came out for a bit, talked to the child, then went back inside.  I decided to hang out with the mellow kids who were coloring and he comes up to tell me something....I acknowledge him and he KICKS me!!  That's when I grab him by the hand and bring him to mom.  NOT COOL!!  I don't get an apology or anything.  If I was the parent I would have been SOOOO apologetic.  I understand hitting is acceptable at the child's home, but completely unacceptable in my mind.  This is not the first time this child has hit/kicked/screamed at a teacher and I doubt it will be the last.  I am just shocked at the way mom dealt with it.  I still stick by my idea to have a tip jar at the preschool!!!  You know, for when kids are...well, this way.  I mean, waiters and waitresses get tips...why not the people that take care of children all day???  Sorry that this has turned into a rant.  I really do enjoy my job and working with preschool kids, I just get frustrated when things like this happen.  It makes me wonder how I will be as a parent.

On a lighter note, today I received two special presents from some sweet girls at the preschool. A leaf shaped like a heart and a pumpkin picture.  The picture is at the top for your viewing pleasure.  Apparently pumpkins can be royalty too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear you were treated so poorly by the little kid and his mom. I am also sorry to think that your preschool's management would allow a kid like that to stay as he is a liability and a significant accident waiting to happen.
Feeling sorry for you,
Dad

Nini said...

UGH! I am sorry you had to deal with that...and even more sorry that the child's parent allows them to treat people that way. I don't think hitting is even acceptable at home, let alone in public! Good for you for dealing with it so well. You are brave to even have the heart to watch other people's children, especially when they are all parented so differently and you can't necessarily discipline the way you would in your own home.

You and Josh are going to be great parents! Can't wait to meet your little peanut!

liz oelker said...

how irritating! that kid would have been sent home if i were the one in charge. sheesh!