Thursday, December 29, 2011

Facebook & Santa Cruz

It's been awhile since my last post, but since I'm just sitting here on the couch attempting to be a good patient while I recover from bronchitis AGAIN, I figured I had the time.

Are you ready for lots of rambling? If not, then just skip to the pictures. ;-) Here is goes: Facebook. It's crazy how addicted I am to it. I get on the computer to look up a recipe or check email and I automatically go straight to FB. I've never had (done?) crack, but I assume that FB is like crack for non drug users...but I digress. I waste so much of my time with it. I actually find (and my husband has pointed out) that I am much happier when I haven't been on FB in a while. I get so caught up in the drama & details of everyone else and I even let it affect my mood. 'Why in the world are they saying that!? It's not even true!' or 'Look what they get to do. Wish I could do that.' It's sad, really. I could be spending time playing with my daughter (the cutie on the trampoline!) or having a conversation with my hubby that DOESN'T revolve around someone else's status update. I'm not saying FB is a bad thing, it's just not a healthy thing for me at the moment. I hesitate to say that I'm calling it quits with FB because I don't know if I have the willpower to stay away...but I know that if it has that strong of a hold on me it probably (definitely) isn't good for me. I think my daughter, my husband, the house and my mood would greatly benefit from me saying Good-bye to FB.
Are there things I'll miss? I'm not sure. The people I have real, honest relationships with will continue to stay in touch - and there's always e-mail or phone (eeek, that means I'm going to have to start being a phone person. i hate the phone.) And all the others?? Let's be honest. If you were to run into every 'friend' you have on FB - you would probably only talk to 15%. Or maybe that's just me. All that to say - I think I'll be happier and more content without FB. I'm tired of comparing myself to others.

On a lighter note: We went up to Santa Cruz for a few days before Christmas. It.was.glorious! Lots of time with the neighbors (and yet, still not enough time) and I had a very relaxing walk by the harbor & lighthouse. The camera is still pretty new to me, so it was fun to play with the different settings. I got to people watch, watch the sunset & spend time alone. It was glorious! Thanks Josh for urging me to get out of the house. :-) Here are a few pics.










3 comments:

Nini said...

You are amazing and have more willpower than you think (and definitely more than me). I completely get it and agree, I so easily get sucked into FB and spend a ridiculous amount of time on it and need to slow it down. The gamer nerd in me had to quit playing some of the games I play due to time suckage (is that a word). Your presence will be missed as you are one of the best status update posters but I hope the time away is rejuvenating for you!

Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Mallory said...

For awhile I would feel bad if I didn't accept a friend request from someone that I once knew. One day I went through my "friends" list and decided that if I wouldn't recgonize someone on the street, I had no reason to be friends with them on fb. {afterall, there is a reason I keep my profile private}.

I'd say to just try to limit yourself to once or twice a day and you'll soon see how easy it is to take a break. :-)

Glad to have you back in the blogging world!

Mama Mote said...

I have over 900 "friends"...past students, like you, classmates (unbelievable that we found each other), and family I haven't seen in awhile. With family, it's getting back into their lives again. With others, it's just to keep track. Most of the time I just wish people happy birthday, my once a year contact. I'm hoping to be more organized and a better steward with my time, but I'm going to try and be more deliberate in snail mail and emails, as you said, and yes, maybe the phone. EEk! But I sure understand. I'm hoping to be better at my online time and not get distracted so much. I don't have little ones anymore, but I could be a little more creative in the use of my time. After all, I live in a beach community!! I will miss seeing your face on FB, but I do still read blogs, though, not as much lately. Blogging may be taking a backseat if I "blog" on FB (I guess by using the notes section). Anyway, I pray you find a way to be more productive in your time with your family and with the internet. We all need to do that. love you guys