Monday, August 24, 2009

The joys (and guilt) of mommyhood

So, I normally keep this blog pretty light, but I've been thinking recently of all the guilt that can come with being a mommy. I'm sure most of you have been through this. There are days when I wonder if I have played with Natalie enough, if I should have read her more books, talked to her more, held her more. At the same time though, she is perfectly happy hanging out on her playmat - just talking to herself or grabbing her feet, and I love that she is able to entertain herself! But then there are times like this when I'm sitting at the computer or doing chores (that I'm sure could wait...) and wondering if I should be down on the floor with her. Does it mean I love her any less? Am I a bad mommy for not playing with her as much as I could be? Will she be emotionally scarred later in life because I didn't play with her all the time when she was a baby or not "smart enough" because I only read her 2 books today? I know it seems silly, but that is what is going on in my head. And I don't want you to think that I just ignore my child all day - we talk A LOT throughout the day, I play with her and read books to her. We sing silly songs and listen to music together.

Despite all of that going through my head (and all three of us being sick) the past couple of days have actually been really fun for me as a mom. Hearing Natalie talk, watching her rough house with Josh, hearing her laugh and explore everything around her is amazing!!!

Here are a few shots of Natalie enjoying the beach:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need to get rid of that Mommy guilt. You are a wonderful mom Stephanie and Natalie is blessed to have you (and vice versa)! Glad you are enjoying her - she's a cutie!l
love from your mom

Mama Mote said...

I think all moms have guilty feelings here and there. You do the best you can and hope your kids grow up well. I think I did okay with my girls. :) You're doing good, Steph. Cherish the times and the memories you have with her because before you know it - she'll be grown, married and having kids of her own. And you'll be telling her the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Mom and Robbin are so right. :) And we love the pictures! Nothing like sweet baby toes in the sand...ahhhh!

Auntie Jen